Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cranberry Applesauce


I had just under a cup of fresh cranberries to use and I was making applesauce anyway. I tossed them in and added a bit more sugar to the recipe. The result is wonderful, and the colour is pretty magnificent if I don't say so myself.

You Will Need:

1 quart sliced apples
About 1 cup fresh cranberries
1 teaspoon lemon juice
About 1 cup sugar
About 1 cup water

Place cranberries and apples in a pot. Add the lemon juice.Start with 1 cup of water-you may need more, but it is easy enough to add. Simmer until apples are soft and cranberries have popped. Add the sugar starting with 1/2 cup and adjust to your tastes. Give it all a good mashing with a potato masher leave in some chunks of apple. Cook a few more minutes until thickened. It will get thicker upon sitting so don't cook it to death or you'll have jelly.

Cool, and then chill several hours before serving.

No comments: