Monday, October 06, 2008

Roasted Fennel With Apples And Apricots


This was such a treat as we can't usually afford fresh fennel. I found it on the discounted produce rack even though it was still quite solid in the bulb. The fronds were starting to wilt, but the stems still looked great. Of course, I clutched it in my fat little hands and rushed it home. I do love fennel (as does Danny).

If there is any leftover, it would make an excellent lunch with some cheese on one of those hard rolls from the last post.

You Will Need:

1 large bulb fennel, sliced
peeled and chopped fennel stalks
About a tablespoon fennel fronds
2 large Green Apples
A Handful of dried apricots
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
A generous grinding of sea salt

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Toss everything in a bowl making sure to coat the vegetables well. Pour out onto a baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, stir with a spatula and continue baking another 10-15 minutes or until apples are soft. Serve warm, or at room temperature.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love fennel too :). It has such an amazingly aromatic and distinctively delicious taste. I love how you incorporated it with sweet and savory ingredients. I would really like to feature your recipe on our blog and the Demy, the first and only digital recipe reader. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you're interested :). Thanks!