Thursday, October 09, 2008

Meltaway Cookies-Lemon And Chocolate Orange


As soon as I saw the beautiful photograph at Chocolate Shavings, I knew I had to make these cookies. That happens quite a bit when I go over there, now that I think of it-usually when I need a special occasion recipe (the Birthday pots de creme, the Father's Day crepes, the anniversary chocolate dipped orange slices) that I can count on working perfectly. These cookies were no exception and I even messed with the flavourings (to great effect, mind you). I decided to add a new tag of "Chocolate Shavings Saved Me Arse Again", because it's true.

I wanted to make the lime cookies for breaking the Jewish High Holiday fast. Traditionally people make sweets, but a noodle pudding or cream cheese pastry seemed a bit too heavy after a 24 hour fast-these were more what I had in mind. Unfortunately, my limes were all shriveled up in the fridge and while still OK for juice, the zest was useless. I sort of feel obligated to make a joke about when life hands you dried up limes make lemon cookies, but I can't quite get it right. Guess I'd better keep my day job.

While I love anything lemon, Danny isn't too much of a citrus fan. I can get him to eat orange as long as I call it "tangerine", but lemon, lime and grapefruit are out of the question. I decided to operate from the position that chocolate is always a winner with small children and sure enough, the orange/chocolate combination went over very well.

You can read the original recipe HERE. My changes are as follows:

For the lemon cookies:

Substitute zest of 1 lemon and 2 tablespoons juice.

For the chocolate cookies:

melt 1 square of semi-sweet chocolate (1 oz) and let cool. Use zest of 1 orange and 2 tablespoons juice. After dough is made, quickly knead-in the melted chocolate.
Toss 1/4 cup cocoa powder with powdered sugar for dusting.

No comments: