Sunday, October 26, 2008

Mama's Diner Blueberry Pancakes

"Can we have "fakin' bacon" for dinner?" Danny wanted to know.
"Sure, I can make that."
"And pancakes?"
"Uh, sure. Why not? We'll have fakin' bacon and pancakes for dinner."
"With blueberries." He was rather insistent about that-good thing I have a freezer full of summer fruit.
"OK, fakin' bacon and blueberry pancakes."

I was about to walk out of the room when I heard behind me:

"And a shirred egg."


Yes, sometimes it does feel like I'm running a diner. Like most diners, the meal is on the table quickly (and no, I didn't make shirred eggs-we had over easy) without much fussing. I'm by no means a pancake expert, but this recipe really is about as "foolproof" as they get.

From The Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook, 1950

You Will need:

1 egg
1 1/4 cups buttermilk (I used solids and water)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons soft shortening (I used store-brand vegetable shortening)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup blueberries

In a bowl, beat an egg with a mixer. Add to the egg the buttermilk and baking soda. Then, mix in everything except the blueberries. Mix well until smooth. Fold in the blueberries.

Cook on a very hot griddle until they are puffed and full of bubbles. Turn, and cook other side.

Keep in mind that the first one or two pancakes invariably flop-this seems to be a law of nature so don't worry too much if your first try isn't quite perfect.

No comments: