Thursday, October 30, 2008

Roasted Beet Salad With Apples And Boiled Cider


I can't believe I never tried this before-it makes such a nice departure from beets with citrus. The recipe is going to be vague because it will depend quite a bit on the strength of your boiled cider and sweetness of the beets. As always, use this as a guideline more than an etched in stone recipe. I think this would be wonderful with ancho chili powder instead of the thyme-if you try it let me know, as that was actually my first thought.

You Will Need:

3 large beets-roasted and sliced
6 tablespoons boiled cider
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper
1 firm apple (I used Cortland) sliced

Wash beets and trim ends-leave skins on. Roast in a covered casserole for about an hour in a 400 degree F. Oven (start checking at 40 minutes. Remove from oven, leave covered and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Remove from dish, cool slightly and then using a paper towel, wipe off the skins.

Slice beets and let cool.

Mix everything together in a large bowl and chill well before serving.

No comments: