Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Mincemeat With Cranberries


If I were to make this again, I'd chop the raisins and sultanas and shred the apple. The recipe had the fruit coarsely chopped and the dried fruit (except the figs) left whole. To me, it looks more like chutney than mincemeat, though it will probably be nicer in a pie-it may be a bit much for small tarts or cookies.

In the end, I went with two cups of brandy because honestly, I'm not really one for sherry, or anything like it and as far as I'm concerned you can never have too much hard liquor. If I make this again, I'd probably use more. I ended up changing the spices around as well and added citron in place of candied orange peel. The recipe I based it on is in the Ball Blue Book.

I ended up with eight pints, which is quite a bit. I left some out to bake tomorrow though I know the flavour will improve upon keeping.

An hour and a half on my feet was quite a bit, and I ended up needing to use a much larger pot than anticipated. Still, the house is no longer cold, and I have holiday fare ready made and waiting for guests. Anyone care to come over and celebrate? I've got a case of booze!

You Will Need:
Makes 4 Quarts or Aprox. 8 pints

2 quarts diced, peeled and cored tart apples
4 cups cranberries
14 ounces sultanas or golden raisins
14 ounces dark raisins
11 ounces currants
12 ounces dried figs, chopped
1 1/3 cups ground and seeded oranges (I pulsed it in the blender and it was fine)
1 cup ground and seeded lemons
1/2 cup minced citron
1/2 cup minced lemon peel
2 cups dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons allspice
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon mace
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon ginger
1 quart apple cider
2 cups brandy

Combine everything and simmer for one hour stirring occasionally to keep from scorching. Remove from heat. Stir in brandy. Return to heat and cook thirty minutes longer. Ladle into hot jars and process 30 minutes in a boiling water canner for quarts-25 minutes for pints. Let cool 5 minutes in canner before removing to cool 12-24 hours.

No comments: