Friday, March 19, 2010

The Nut Free Mom Blog

THIS blog is a fantastic resource for families dealing with nut allergies. We had a pretty easy transition given my forty plus years with nut allergies, but I still find new, and helpful information. Even if you don't have a child with nut allergies, odds are you will know people that do-having accurate, helpful information is always nice even if it isn't personally needed.

When I was a child, nut allergies were pretty rare, so people tended to be really accommodating. Today, the biggest threat I see Danny encountering are people who don't believe your child has a genuine allergy. This scares the daylights out of me. He's homeschooled, and eats almost no processed food. We don't eat away from home, and he brings meals with when needed. Still, no matter how well I plan, protect, and try to shield him from allergens, I know it will happen again. I'm resigned to that. What I can't fathom is why anyone would deliberately place your child in danger to prove...what? What in god's name do they think they are going to prove by potentially killing your child?

I really like the people who think because you carry a couple eppi-pens that eating a nut won't be life threatening. Like it's an allergy pill you take to treat hay fever.

Really, I worry more about protecting him from morons than I do from peanuts. Man, are we ever living in a screwed-up time.

No comments: